ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Proposed mergers

ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ ಇಂದ
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Closing instructions

The discussion about merging at the village pump is now archived (here). The vast majority of those who expressed an opinion considered the system based on the current templates and this process (Wikipedia:Proposed mergers) to be inadequate.

The implementation of a new automated system is being discussed at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Merge/Archive 2#Automation of merge proposals. More participation in that discussion is welcome.

This page lists proposed article mergers as a supplement to the merge categories and templates; it does not replace any of the other steps in the merger process. Please add the appropriate merger tag(s) to the articles before listing them here.

Category mergers should not be proposed here. Please see Wikipedia:Categories for discussion.

Template mergers should not be proposed here. Please see Wikipedia:Templates for discussion.

How to propose a merger[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

There are three types of mergers on Wikipedia:

  1. mergers that are so obviously necessary and appropriate that no one is expected to object;
  2. mergers that would benefit from discussion with the other editors at the affected articles about whether and/or how to perform the merge; and
  3. mergers that are controversial or potentially difficult to carry out, and therefore need assistance from uninvolved editors in determining whether to merge the pages.

If the pages that you would like to merge fall into the first group, then it is not necessary to propose a merger at all. You should boldly do the merger now, without formally proposing it. (In the event that someone unexpectedly objects, then the merger can be undone easily, and you can formally propose the merger for discussion at that time.)

If a formal discussion is wanted, then proposing a merger can be done in three steps:

  1. Create a place for discussion. Go to the Talk Page (also known as the discussion page) of the TARGET ARTICLE (the one you want to merge to) and create a section (eg: "Merger proposal") to discuss the merger. If there's already a discussion on the talk page regarding the merger, you can omit this step. Whether the discussion is new or old, make sure the discussion section names all articles involved and links to them. The section name can be anything that includes the word merge (for example ==Proposed merger==).
  2. Put one of the merger tags at the top of the articles you wish to be merged. The templates {{Merge from}} and {{Merge to}}, or {{merge}} are the most common ones. Remember to make sure that the Discuss link in each tag points to the section you've created in step 1 (this is to prevent having two separate discussions on different talk pages).
  3. If the proposed merge is controversial or potentially difficult to carry out, follow the directions under #Requests for assistance and feedback to add it to the list.

Many bold mergers are performed each day. Of the mergers that are formally proposed, about 95% fall into the second category, of wanting discussion or practical assistance from the editors at the articles that are to be merged. The remaining 5% of formally proposed mergers are on contentious topics or are controversial for one reason or another. Only this small fraction is listed at the bottom of this page as instructed in step #3.

Requests for assistance and feedback[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

If you need outside feedback regarding mergers that are either tricky or of a controversial nature, please do the following:

  • Tag the article as shown above
  • Create a discussion as shown above
  • Notify the talk page of the appropriate Wikiproject to get knowledgable people to comment on it.
  • If there is consensus to merge, but the merge is difficult, contact Wikipedia:WikiProject Merge for assistance.

For other topics:

Don't post here if you are not willing to do the merge yourself. We will provide you assistance in how to complete the merge if you are unsure how to do it.

NEW REQUESTS[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

If you need assistance with proposing a merge, list it below and someone will make sure it's properly listed. Note that this will not get the merge completed, as there is a large merge backlog. This can also be used if an old proposal needs more discussion. We will attempt to get more people to comment on it.

Once a merge is listed properly, move it to the "Completed requests" or "Awaiting consensus" sections below as appropriate.

Please list new requests at the BOTTOM of this section. Use the edit summary–List at least one of the articles' titles. Please remember to sign each listing or comment by typing: ~~~~


AWAITING CONSENSUS[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

COMPLETED REQUESTS[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

THE ARCHIVES[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

Tagged articles[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]

See also[ಬದಲಾಯಿಸಿ]